you’re not a bad person if there are actual reasons why looking at ferguson stuff makes you terribly anxious or paranoid and im not going to fault you if you can’t. but, if you are humanly able, please reblog the posts on how to help, how to avoid tear gas, how to help pay for legal fees, the vigils, etc., and please, if you have the hd space, download and archive every video/picture of this you can, they are being taken off of social media.
For anyone who doesn’t know who Michael Brown is or what’s been going on in Ferguson
- Saturday Aug. 9, 2014: Reports out of Ferguson, MO. that a 17 y/o boy was shot 10 times by police over stolen candy
- He is identified as 18 y/o Michael Brown. The store Mike Brown allegedly stole candy from did not report any theft. Reports then claim that Brown was unarmed and shot 10 times for jaywalking.
- Mike Brown’s body was left lying in the street uncovered for 4 hours. His body was then placed into an unidentified black SUV.
- His mother said she was not allowed to ID her son’s body.
- Community members take to the streets (x). Flowers are spread where Mike Brown’s body laid (x).
- Protests begin. “No justice, no peace" chants are turned into "Kill the police" by media. Police respond to the unarmed crowd with dogs, shotguns, and this shit
- On the morning of Sunday Aug. 10, 2014, a crowd of people continued protesting, gathering at the Ferguson police station
- After a press conference, reports claim that there was a “struggle over the officer’s weapon" and that Mike Brown assaulted the officer who shot him. However, witnesses say that’s not what happened.. and they all have the same story (x) (x) (x)
- On the night of Aug. 10: Police blocked off streets (x), brought out the dogs (again), rifles, tear gas, gas masks, riot gear (x), tanks, and yelled “bring it on you fucking animals" at the crowd of protestors. They also did not hesitate to pull a woman who is 6 months pregnant out of a car, have her lay face down, and point their weapons at her
- Reports of looting and vandalism grab the media’s attention
- More pictures/footage from that night: (x) (x) (x)
- Protests continued into the morning of Monday Aug. 11: (x) demands of the protestors
- The night of Aug. 11: (x) Tear gas (x) (x), (x) (x) (x) (x) Gas masks, (x)
- Later that night: More tear gas (x) (x) (x) (x) lots of tear gas, seriously look at all this tear gas, riot gear, rifles, m16s, wooden pellets (x) (x), people shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” and still shot with rubber bullets, (x) (x)
- Police tell people to return to their homes, returning home still isn’t good enough apparently. Police continue to shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at people who have returned home (x)
- Police shoot tear gas at media and threaten to arrest them if they don’t leave (x)
- Police think their lives are in jeopardy
- Oh yeah, the officer who killed Mike Brown is on paid administrative leave
- OH YEAH, the police declined to talk to Dorian Johnson, witness of his friend Mike Brown’s murder. But you can read Johnson’s description of what happened here
- But the Ferguson Police Department said they would release the name of the officer who killed Mike Brown………. Just kidding! (x) His safety is important (x)
- Tuesday Aug. 12: Police ban the media from the area. Ferguson declared a no fly zone (x) (x)
- Protesting continues
- Protesting rules (x)
- "Hands up, Don’t shoot!" (x) (x)
- “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”
- Neighborhood cleanup organized
- Ferguson police officer drives around QuikTrip and harasses those who are working to clean up the mess
- Mugshots of looters to be released. Officer who killed Mike Brown is still nameless.
If there’s anything I missed or anything that is incorrect please let me know and I’ll change it or add it
i just wanted to ask you all a question. what did you take away from the whole beauty is terror speech? I’ve never been quite sure I understood exactly what Julian meant. I understand that violent and terrible things are captivating and beautiful but surely so many other things are beautiful to the same degree that are in no way terrible? I feel like I’m missing something but it’s possible I just don’t agree. I’d love to hear what you guys understood by that speech and your opinions?
hmmmm. i don’t think it’s necessarily only that violent and terrible things are beautiful - i definitely got that from the speech, but i also sort of took away that beauty itself is terror? beauty in any form is something that humans seem to struggle to deal with - beautiful is something strange and incomprehensible and marvelous, and recognizing it can be terrifying.
That makes a lot of sense, that beauty is terrible in it’s force and effect on humans, that it can be terribly devastating. Also possibly it’s foreshadowing Richard’s (and the rest of their) fascination with the beautiful and terrible and it’s ultimate destruction of their lives? If we’re talking about the secret history as a greek tragedy what is their ultimate downfall, their hamartia, is it their love of beauty or their arrogance or simply the price Dionysus feels they must pay for the bacchae? (thanks for your imput sweetheart!)
what would richard papen do? well don’t do that
Confused, drunk Sirius wanting to have a chat with James and requesting to Remus, “Bring me my Jame.” “James, Sirius.” “No, only that one.”